Modification And Enforcement

Enforcement And Modification Of Custody And Support

Child custody, child support, spousal support and other aspects of a divorce settlement are all either decreed or agreed upon in light of the circumstances at the time and with the best interests of the children of the parties.

If either party violates the terms of the divorce settlement or if the circumstances change significantly, then certain legal actions must be taken. At the offices of Hugh O. Allen Attorney at Law, we have helped families navigate these issues for over 30 years in Sacramento, California, and surrounding cities. Call 916-229-6847 or contact us online for an appointment.

Child Custody And Child Support Modifications

According to California's family law statutes, you can apply for a modification to your existing child custody or child support order. If there has been a "significant change in circumstances," the court will consider changing the child custody or child support order. This can include:

  • Either parent has a significant increase or decrease in income.
  • Either parent decides to relocate far away.
  • Either parent develops bad habits like drug or alcohol abuse or endangers the child.
  • New expenses like sudden medical problems related to the child crop up.

Either parent can file for a modification. However, since complications can affect the result — often adversely — you should consult with an attorney before you file for a modification.

Enforcement Of Child Custody, Child Support And Spousal Support

When either party violates a court decree for child custody, child support or spousal support, that person can be punished in family court. If you can prove that the other party knowingly violated the order, he or she can be held in contempt of court.

Violations can include failure to pay child support or spousal support, failure to drop off or pick up children at the scheduled time, failure to pay certain debts in a timely manner, drinking excessively or doing drugs in front of the children and many other violations, depending on the nature of your support and custody arrangements.

To schedule an appointment to discuss modifications or enforcement with a lawyer, call 916-229-6847 or contact our offices online today.

This does not constitute a guarantee, warranty or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.